One of the most asked questions in the jailbreak community – Winterboard vs Dreamboard. Read this article and find out which scores better.
One of the most discussed topics – Winterboard vs Dreamboard.
Which one is better?
Which offers more customization?
Which has better looking themes?
Which one loads faster?
Well, both(Winterboard vs Dreamboard) have their own positive factors.
- Winterboard themes are small and good-looking. They are quicker to download.
- They do not change the complete look of your device. Some of the the default theme’s features are maintained.
- Winterboard themes load faster and use lesser device memory(RAM) than Dreamboard themes.
- Dreamboard provides a whole new look. Everything from the Search bar to Home Screen and many other windows are customized with a different look. Good for graphic lovers.
Also See: Apps to Customize iPhone, iPod and iPad.
Yes, Dreamboard offers a better look than Winterboard. But, its usage comes with many disadvantages. You will have to sacrifice many good features for mere looks.
Why I Hate Dreamboard?
- Dreamboard gives your iPhone/iPad whole new look. Sometimes, this look may be so different that one may find it difficult to operate the device. Many icons even get hidden. The quick access to applications is lost. One has to search a lot to find a simple application. In one of my themes, I had to spend 20 minutes trying to find Dreamboard.app application.
- Dreamboard themes are bigger in size when compared to Winterboard themes. This means, they also use more of your device resources. Dreamboard themes eat up your device memory(RAM) and make it extremely slow. Not only this, they also increase burden on the battery, thereby reducing battery life. This can be really annoying. Sometimes, it may take up to 5 minutes to Reboot and 1 minute for a ReSpring when these themes are installed. Especially on devices with lesser system memory like iPod touch, these themes completely eliminate Apple’s speed and battery life.
Also See:- How to Speed Up Jailbroken Device?
- Springboard Crashes – One of the nastiest error that can occur. Recently, I faced this issue. I had installed a Dreamboard theme on my iPod touch. This theme was pretty big, but it looked amazing. I activated the theme, my device went to ReSpring. When I turned the device on after the ReSpring, it was extremely slow. It was like operating a device with no RAM at all. I somehow managed to unlock the screen and check SBSettings. It showed that I had 7 MB RAM left. That was not even enough to keep the device turned on. It turned out that the rest of the system memory was used up by the Dreamboard theme. So, my iPod was basically trash then. Because of low memory, my springboard repeatedly crashed and rebooted many times. Each time, I could unlock the screen and manage to keep the device tuned on for about 10 seconds. Then, it would automatically turn off. After a lot of experimenting, I found a solution to this. Thankfully, my iPod touch is now working. I had to enter in Safe Mode and delete Dreamboard to make the device work normally. This is one of the few errors caused by Dreamboard. If you have devices with higher system memory like iPhone 4S/5, iPod touch 5, the new iPad/iPad with Retina Display, then you can use these themes. But it is not advisable for lower devices.
If you want to change the entire look of your device and you are fine with all the above negative remarks, then you can risk using Dreamboard. However, if you only want to change the icons, lockscreen and background of the device, go for Winterboard. Winterboard themes are also good, fast and the chances of crashes are very less.
These are a few reasons why I hate Dreamboard and prefer Winterboard in the Winterboard vs Dreamboard battle. What’s your opinion?